Turnitin is a web-based plagiarism prevention system that enables schools and students to detect and avoid plagiarism in their academic work. This tool can help user in terms of:
- Preventing plagiarism in writing
- Assist to improve writing techniques
- Assist to promote critical thinking
- Assist to facilitate the provision grade writing
The system is available for all UCTS academic staff (subject to their respective school approval) to create class assignments and enrol students into Turnitin. Instructors can enrol students themselves (recommended) or ask students to enrol on their own by providing class ID and enrolment password for the class.
(For Students: IT Department does not provide Turnitin account to students. The instructor will either enrol their students or will provide their students’ Turnitin class ID and enrolment password to register).
IT Department is the Turnitin Administrator for UCTS. The usage is based on annual license subscribed by IT Department. This tool can be accessed online through http://www.turnitin.com/index/php. The software is provided free of charge to qualified UCTS users who are subject to the rules of use.
- Users must register using UCTS official e-mail account only.
- Priority of usage is for academician known as “Instructor”.
- Unofficial email is not allowed and Turnitin administrator has the right to drop any unofficial e-mail from the system.
- Administrator will manually add staff as an Instructor
- Turnitin Administrator reserves the right to change password from time to time as deemed necessary.
- New users (Instructor) must request a permission from his/her respective Dean/Head of Department via e-mail before the Turnitin Administrator can register him/her as an Instructor.
- Once the approval obtained from the Dean/HOP, the e-mail shall be forwarded to the Turnitin Administrator together with the staff First and Second Name
- The Turnitin Administrator will manually register he staff e-mail with their proposed First and Second Name in the Turnitin account.
- The staff (instructor) will receive an e-mail notification from Turnitin on how to activate their Turnitin account step by step
- Users who have already registered but forgotten the password just need to reset the password
- Instructor will responsible to their students. If a user is found to be misusing this software, they will be suspended from using this software up to 1 month or removed from the system.
- The created class ID is allowed maximum for 2 weeks. If the submission process is finished earlier, Instructor need to expire the class by edit at class end date.
- If the usage has exceeded the license limit, the next user cannot perform any submission.
- Instructor is responsible for the setting at the software.
- The percentage of similarity index is determined by school/ department.
- User is advised to save the document receipt that contains submission id submitted in this system.
- User is not allowed to activate quick submit button due to by default setting.
- Please contact the Turnitin Administrator for any difficulty.
- All relevant information such as how to use these tools and online demonstration can be obtained via the website provided.